Friday, December 25, 2009

What Child Is This?






My favorite Christmas Carol. Actualy, this piece of hauntingly beautiful music, also referred to as "Greensleeves" has been my year round favorite since I was a youngster and I envisioned scenes of "Mommy Kissing Santa Claus".  Boy did I have a lot of expectations! As my mind drifts off this early Christmas morn, it is not Santa that lingers in my imagination, but my Sweet Sterling. Completely awake at 1:30am, I find myself researching the history behind the creation of the tune for "What Child is This". Along the way of my inquest for further knowledge I realize that I am really searching for more meaning. Not for baby Jesus' story, but for Sterlings story. Then I came across this:


God’s sign is simplicity. God’s sign is the baby. God’s sign is that he makes himself small for us. He does not come with power and outward splendor. He comes as a baby – defenseless and in need of our help . . . He asks for our love, so he makes himself a child. He wants nothing other from us than our love. . . God made himself small so that we could understand him, welcome him and love him.


What child is this, who, laid to rest

On Mary's lap, is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?

Not that I liken myself to the Virgin Mary. But I am a mother. My baby was born sleeping. He was blessed to be carried on the wings of Angels while his shepards, his father and I watched helplessly, as his life, his purpose, was given new meaning. So was mine.

Christopher, my love, my dream, continues to support me as I try and find that which gives me comfort and that which keeps me grounded. This holiday, by default, we ended up making Gingerbread Dinosaur Cookies with our son, August. Christmas cookies have always been a comfort for my tummy and for my heart. Specifically, the recipe given to me by my foster mom. We decided to combine the new recipe for gingerbread with the lovingly familiar frosting from Grandma Helens original sugar cookie recipe. And I realized something. Its the frosting that brings back the memories of years past. Its the lingering sweetness of the powdered sugar with the Almond extract that is the first and last taste and biggest impact. The cookie dough could be a combination of many different ingredients, yet the frosting is what smooths it all out and fullfills my cravings. As I sit here, eating what must be my ___th cookie of the early morning, I create the significance of this in my minds eye. The reality and beauty of something new and exciting, with the comfort and familiarity of the known and loved. This morning, I think of Sterling and how he has given me such a new outlook. His being has made me a better me. The ingredients of my life could be a combination of a million different varities, but the frosting...my sweet, sweet frosting...will always give me comfort. Will always give me peace. Thank you Sterling. Merry Christmas to my Christmas Angel, my wonderous darling, my forever child.

No comments:

Post a Comment